Monday, February 22, 2021

Guest Post: Sherry Shahan

I’m happy to share with you this guest post from Sherry Shahan on how she came to write her YA novel, Purple Daze: A Far Out Trip, 1965. Sherry is an author and fellow member of the Central/Coastal California region of the SCBWI. --Lynn


Guest Post: How Unearthing a Shoe Box of Letters Inspired a Novel in Verse

by Sherry Shahan

    My novel in verse Purple Daze: A Far Out Trip, 1965 was inspired when I found an old shoebox in my closet. Inside were letters from a friend who had served in Vietnam during the 1960s. I remember sitting on the floor and rereading the gut-wrenching accounts of his time in that living hell. I still can’t believe I’d kept his letters more than 50 years.

    A short time later, I began writing character sketches about other high school friends. Once I began scribbling, memories slammed me twenty-four-seven. I let myself tap into the emotions triggered by that crazy time—from happiness (our wild antics) to rage (over a senseless war) and sorrow (teen angst). It was like being in a constant flashback.

    
Since my friend’s letters inspired the novel, I decided to use that form of expression for his character. I experimented with other styles for other characters—notes, journal entries, free verse and traditional poetry. I wanted the story’s emotional layer to be as true to life as possible, although I never considered portraying events as they really happened.

    Experimenting with a nontraditional form definitely had its challenges. Each of the six viewpoint characters required his or her own story arc, yet I had to weave the individual stories smoothly into the whole.

    I suddenly became aware of ‘white space’ and its role in shaping emotional context. In certain instances, white space reflected the power of a thought or idea in a way that solid text could not.

    This piece is only four lines:

Love is like sticking
your car keys in a pocket with
your sunglasses and thinking
your glasses won’t get scratched

    In later drafts, I added descriptive entries about historical events in 1965, such as the Pentagon’s authorization of Napalm, the assassination of Malcolm X, and the FBI’s all-out war to discredit Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. These pieces are juxtaposed against musical references: rock concerts and the true story behind Arlo Guthrie's song “Alice's Restaurant.”

    Ultimately, though, I wanted Purple Daze to be a story about six high school friends and their sometimes crazy, often troublesome, and ultimately dramatic lives. To me, verse mirrors the pulse of adolescent life. Condensed metaphoric language on a single page is an apt reflection of their dramatic, tightly-packed world.

Sherry Shahan lives in a laid-back beach town in California where she grows carrot tops in ice cube trays for pesto. She’s best known for middle-grade adventure novels featuring teen girls:
Frozen Stiff, Iceland, and Death Mountain. Her articles and short stories have appeared in national and international magazines, such as Highlights for Children, High Five, Cricket, Cobblestone, Aquila, and Caterpillar. She holds an MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts and taught a creative writing course for UCLA Extension for 10 years.

1 comment: