Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Interview with Karen Jameson

Karen Jameson, my good friend and critique partner, is the author of MOON BABIES, illustrated by Amy Hevron (Putnam, 2019). Her new lullaby book, WOODLAND DREAMS, illustrated by Marc Boutavant, releases from Chronicle Books on October 27th. WOODLAND DREAMS is featured on Today.com’s list of 36 Best Toys for 2-Year-Olds 2020 and will be reviewed by the New York Times! In addition, WOODLAND DREAMS is being published in French, Chinese, and Italian.


So, Karen, can you tell us a little bit about WOODLAND DREAMS?

Woodland Dreams is the first of three bedtime stories releasing from Chronicle Books. At the time I wrote it, I was teaching a third grade unit on habitats and was surprised to learn that most of my students had little, if any, knowledge of woodland flora and fauna. That inspired me to create a bedtime story featuring them.

Here’s a little blurb from the publisher’s website:

“In Woodland Dreams, young readers say goodnight to beloved woodland animals as they prepare to sleep. This sweet bedtime book is at once a picture book and a lullaby, pairing familiar bedtime routines with nonfiction elements. From the fox curling up in her den to the turtle dozing off in his shell, Woodland Dreams will send your little one off to sleep with a gentle and loving goodnight.”

With two picture books already published, two more scheduled to come out in the next two years, and even more in the pipeline, I think it’s fair to say that you’ve hit your stride as an author in this genre. Can you talk a little about how you got here?

Since my first four books are bedtime stories, I like to joke that my author superpower is putting people to sleep! Ha! All joking aside, I tried writing different kinds of picture books in the five years prior to my first sale. My stride came after realizing that my authentic writing voice is quiet and lyrical. Bedtime books are a perfect fit.

A big part of getting to this place was being intentional about setting writing goals, marking them in a calendar, and following through.

Do you have any advice for aspiring kidlit writers out there?

Here are my Top 10 Tips for Pre-published Authors:
  1. Join SCBWI. Attend the events that speak to you.
  2. Jump in! Say YES to contests, conference extras, and other opportunities.
  3. Reach out and network.
  4. Join Twitter.
  5. Critique. A good critique group is worth its weight in gold!
  6. Keep studying craft.
  7. Keep revising.
  8. Research editors and agents for a good fit.
  9. Query and submit when your work is polished.
  10. Have fun! The kidlit community is the best!

The illustrations in WOODLAND DREAMS are gorgeous! Did you provide illustration notes?

I was so fortunate to be paired with the talented Marc Boutavant for this project! His painterly woodland creatures and brilliant use of color are breathtaking.

Free of illustration notes, Marc created his own woodland world. I love his interpretation of the story, which included the main character sketching her way through the woods. Her childlike drawings are featured in a gallery-like spread at the end of the book. Genius!

What can we look forward to next?

Look for Farm Lullaby (Fall 2021) and Where Wee Ones Go (Spring 2022), both from Chronicle Books! A nonfiction picture book—not yet announced—will be coming out from a different publisher in 2022, as well. I’m excited about some nonfiction and concept books I have in the works. I’ll keep you posted! Thank you, Lynn!

Karen Jameson is the author of MOON BABIES (Putnam, 2019) and WOODLAND DREAMS (Chronicle, 2020). Upcoming titles include FARM LULLABY and WHERE WEE ONES GO (Chronicle, 2021 & 2022). More stories are in the works! Lover of books, wildflowers, farmers’ markets and everything chocolate, Karen writes from sunny Southern California.

Karen is delighted to give away a copy of WOODLAND DREAMS to one lucky reader (US resident only, please) who posts a comment below by October 28th. Good luck!

15 comments:

  1. "my author superpower is putting people to sleep!" -- that made me laugh out loud, that is awesome. Aww, this book is so lovely. I can't stop staring at the cover art, it's mesmerizing and comforting. That squirrel! Congratulations on all your successes! Three PBs with Chronicle, WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I love the squirrel, too! 🙂

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Karen. I too laughed out loud at your superpower comment ;). This book is just lovely. So excited for you and all your books to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Happy to start your day with a laugh! 😂 I’m excited to join you as a Chronicle author. Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
    2. Ha! Happy to start your day with a laugh! 😂 I’m excited to join you as a Chronicle author. Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  3. This looks like such a special book which will become a bedtime classic. Congratulations Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a super power! We all need a good night's sleep. Sounds sweet, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Ha! Thank you, Trine! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Karen! It’s so exciting and such a beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Karen! I can't wait to check out this book1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a lullaby I’d love to share with little ones — and you’ve got me excited to see the illustrations, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to all who kindly left comments about WOODLAND DREAMS. Congratulations to the lucky winner, Angela Russell!

    ReplyDelete